Richard Trombly – Editorial / PR Expert, Filmmaker
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +81 (0)80 4821 3331
Nov. 2002 — Present
Freelance Editorial Consultant
• Correspondent for Hollywood Reporter magazine.
• Wrote features about supply chain management and technology issues for a number of publications, including Industrial Distribution and Computerworld.
• Wrote several marketing pamphlets or technical specifications documents for various products as well as for contractors producing luxury living or high-end office space developments.
• Wrote for various China-based publications including That’s Shanghai and China Economic Review.
• Freelance PR work for Blue Focus Media, Hill and Knowlton and Weber Shandwick
• Editorial consultant for companies including Sourcemedia, PriceWaterhouse Coopers, Allied Capital Investment, Haers Ltd. Porsche China, Cheung Kong GSB and Xinhua Publishing Group.
Nov. 2007– Feb. 2009
Editorial Consultant, Haworth
Revise the communications for the A.P., South American and Middle East operations of this U.S.-based office interior solutions provider. Provide unified communication, branding and messaging across internal and external communications channels as well as assure powerful messaging in PR, marketing and advertising. Worked on client projects involving renovation or new construction fit-outs including communicating with the contractors, designers and engineers of projects to develop insightful case studies and white papers.
Feb 2004 — Feb. 2005
Editorial Consultant, Shanghai Daily
Expanded and improved business coverage, worked with reporters, the editorial team and production staff, developed content and edited copy. Shanghai, China
Nov. 2000 — Nov. 2002
Associate Editor, Reed Elsevier
Editing and writing articles about heavy industry including automotive, steel and building construction industries Recruited contributing authors, edited contributed and freelance writer work, reported, edited peer work, worked with art director to provide graphic elements, worked with production editor, worked with entire editorial team to provide direction to the magazine editorial content and design, traveled to industry shows to meet industry community members. Developed new content products. Interview and interact with industry professionals and stay abreast of developments in the industries we covered. Boston, Massachusetts
Feb. 2000 — Oct. 2000
Editor, Berkshire Beacon
Editor of bi-weekly community newspaper. Assigned and edited stories, covered events. Involved in all phases of production with Quark and Photoshop. Managed staff as well as freelance writers and photographers. Report directly to publisher. Pittsfield, Massachusetts
1990 — Oct. 2000
Freelance Writer and Photographer, Various sources
Covered business, the arts and technology, as well as miscellaneous other subjects for various venues, including Associated Press, Longmeadow News, Business West, Bravo and BBC. Massachusetts
Film Promotion / Organizer, China Indie Film
• Organized Shanghai 48 Hour Film Project and Shanghai International Short Film Contest as well as film events, screenings, contests, workshops and film festivals as founder of China Indie Film. Co-organized the Beijing International (Independent) Movie Festival including developing corporate sponsorship and PR/media relations and working with the official government BJIFF film festival and European Union Film Festival in China. Developing ongoing screenings of short film collections and feature films and a jobs board / talent matching for independent talents in China.
Script Writer / Editor
• Wrote scripts for hire for companies including RSH Entertainment (L.A.-based) (Love In Beijing, White Fang – At The Edge Of The World), M.O.P Productions (L.A.-based) (Missed Opportunities) and China Venture Films (Distance Runners).
• Wrote feature scripts for Trombly’s own Obscure Productions including A Chinese Diary feature film. Co-wrote with Jiang Wen the short films Bittersweet, Analysis, Gua Shu Shijie and Dengdai which were accepted in international film festivals.
• Edited a coffee table book for Xinhua Publishing on Shanghai Pearl Art Museum/ Xinhua flagship bookstore featuring the Japanese architect Tadao Ando, the CEO of Xinhua and also CEO of Red Star Macillaine and their insights into this unique project. (2018)
Director / Producer
• Directed several short films for festivals that were self-written and produced.
• Directed corporate videos for companies including Cargo News Asia (HK), Haworth Asia (PRC) and Phenomenon (Finland).
• Co-produced the low-budget feature films 90 Days Visa and The Ghosts of Old Shanghai. Produced a series of Short Film Contests. Co-produced award-winning Shanghainese-language short film Meatspace for Italian director Gianpaolo Lupori, Shattered by Tim Chu and Jeffrey Chu’s Bittersweet. Associate producer on feature films Milk and Fashion and Distance Runners which were released in China.
Producer/Director/Board Member, East West Theater
• Directed and produced various productions including the Chinese playwright Ding Xilin’s Jiu Huo.
Mars Society and Mars Foundation
• Organized professional events and education outreach for this space exploration and research NGO. Developed educational materials press promotion and development.
Spring 2015-Spring 2018
Adjunct Professor, HuangHuai University
Taught the subjects of English composition, film studies, communications, video production and media studies, in English, through an accelerated program in conjunction with universities in the U.K. Zhumadian, Henan, China
Fall 2014-Fall 2018
Language Instruction, Fastrack English / Fastrack Kids Learning Program
Part-time – Instructed English in ESL centers with youth from age 5-12. Used computer-assisted learning tool and the Fastrack curriculum to a wide variety of students. Shanghai, China
Fall 2014-Fall 2016
ESL Content Development Consultant, Crashdown Studio / LoveTalk English
Developed ESL content and curriculum in conjunction with animators and programmers to develop an Adobe Flash-based curriculum for this English center franchise with learning based on touch-board and student-to-student dialogues as well as participation exercise in a standardized computer-based learning curriculum. Shanghai, China
2006 Spring Semester
Adjunct Professor, Fudan University
Taught writing courses to graduate-level students focusing in clear communication, writing process methods, logic and discourse, research skills and using sources effectively and the creative process. Shanghai, China
2005 Fall Semester-2008
Adjunct Professor, Jiaotong University Continuing Education
Taught human resources course to business students examining modern international HR practices and developing a strategic approach to HR planning. Focus on writing organization and style and presentation methods. Shanghai, China
2005 Spring Semester
Adjunct Professor, Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business
Taught business writing courses, resume workshops, and oral presentation skills to MBA students. Focus on writing organization, reader-focused writing, business writing style and presentation methods. Shanghai, China
English Language Tutor, Sprachinstitute Koln
Taught Business English and ESL sessions in a private ESL and language training Center. Koln, Germany
SEP 1986 – JUN 1991
B.A. English (Comparative Literature)
University of Massachusetts, Amherst (United States)